Sunday 14 August 2011

Book of the Month - August 2011.

So time has run away from me again and it's already 14 days into August! But...better late than never!

This month I've gone for a very arty book; one of my favourite photographers which includes one of my favourite photographs.

August's book is Gregory Crewdson 1985 - 2005; a collection of images from Crewdson's various projects over 20 years.
I love Crewdson's work because his images, especially his later work, are so enigmatic. You're never quite sure what's going on in the picture. It's as if he has just missed that 'crucial moment' and what we are left with is a snapshot of emotions and ambiguity which the viewer has to try and figure out for themselves.

It is obvious that the subjects are involved in some kind of drama and the viewer will never know what has really happened, leaving a sense of unease about the photographs but at the same time, making them all the more compelling.

There are so many highly crafted, beautiful, film still-like images to choose from but I've just about whittled it down to 3.


Twilight: Plate 48

Beneath the Roses: Plate 72

Twilight: Plate 46


The top image is one of my favourite photographs ever. Can't really explain it - which I guess comes with the ambiguity of the picture - but I love looking at it. It resembles Millais' famous painting Ophelia. But there are so many unanswered questions in it, it draws you in.
These images are from the series' Twilight and Beneath the Roses, some of the more recent works. But there are other, earlier works such as Hover and Natural Wonder which, although in a different style to the above series', are just as interesting and complex.

Hover: Plate 29

Natural Wonder: Plate 20


Crewdson will always intrigue me and I think I'll always enjoy looking at his images. I'd love to know what you think; if you have any interesting interpretations of his work?!

Find out more about this book here: Amazon and Waterstones

No comments:

Post a Comment